It takes a Farm!


Brian and I are waiting anxiously for our appointment date with the Ministry of Education. We don’t have it for sure yet, and I was hoping to write this blog with the great news, but we are still waiting … We pray we’ll know tomorrow for sure. In the mean time let us talked about a more mundane subject.



Brian and I decided to start another blog; It is called “It takes a Farm”
An honest review of Miami Area Restaurants and other cooking chronicles. We have not started quite yet thought. Brian is a great restaurant critic and friends and family are always asking him for a good suggestion/recommendation. He thought of the name as we were at an Argentinean grocery store shopping for some meat. Can you envision the moment? It really takes a farm to cook stuff and somehow we forget that meat comes from animals. I think that Brian was thinking more of how food really shows how diverse we are as humans but at the same time no matter how different we are all of our diversity lives within the same one “farm”.

When we were dating we would talked about the foods we ate back in our countries and it sounded pretty much the same; once we got married, we realized we bought ate rice but we cooked it differently!

If you look at our profile, you’ll see that most of our hobby interest revolve around food: Cooking, Going to ethnic restaurants, entertaining friends, reading gourmet magazines and books, watching cooking shows, walking to the restaurants in Lincoln Road, chocolate (Brian) and Coffee (Rebeca).

Food is fun for us but it really relates to much more than to our stomachs; I could tell you stories of how food taught me about compromise in our marriage; made us aware of new ways and new cultures, helped us to exercise God’s gift of Hospitality and service, etc, etc, etc.

So, I will share with you one story about how food has taught us a lesson on compromising in marriage: yes, there is the common story of “we don’t know where to go for dinner and then one of us decides to yield to the other’s desires”; but this particular incident was different: it occurred on the first year of our marriage. We were lying in bed together and Brian was reading a brand new cook book, so, every time he would find a recipe that sounded good to him, he would read it to me as if he was reading a poem – I am not kidding!! So, I was getting kind of bored, but then, I got this great idea: I turned over in bed and said “Darling, why don’t you give me a foot massage as you read the book?” it worked great!!! I got a long foot massage and he got to read to me the best recipes from the book.

My father in law is the best cook I know. He lived in Brazil for more than 35 years and he mastered the Brazilian national dish: Feijoada. It is delicious. Brian is a good cook but Dick’s Feijoada does not have a rival! Feijoada is a dish made out of black beans and pork – everything from the pig! (it takes a pig J) and it is served with garlic rice, sauté Kale, farinna and Orange Slices.

If you come to visit us to Miami, we will take you to a Churrasqueria – How many of you, our blog friends have experience the Brazilean Rodizio? It is a very different way of eating. No vegetarians allowed. Some of the Churrasquerias in Brazil could serve 20 different types of meats!

1 comment:

Yeah So said...

Hello! Found you through Elle's blog...good luck on the adoption process. We are actually adopting from Colombia!

My husband is a "foodie" too..he OFTEN reads me recipes in bed which starts with "sorry to interrupt your reading, but listen to this!", then "sorry again.." and "sorry again"..