A surprised visit to Grandpa and grandma – an update!

Hi everybody!

I am so sorry I have taken so long to write on our blog! I just realized how long it has been when we got the email reminding us to send our 3 month post placement reports!
We have finished the reports now and I am ready again to blog away!!!

It was more than a month ago, a Monday morning, we woke up with the news that Hurricane Ernesto was definitely coming to South Florida.
On the past, Brian and I just take it slow; we would get ready and sometimes make plans to leave the city. This year was different! Now we have David and Julia (besides our little dog Lola) to take care of.

I actually panicked and transmitted the panic to my husband. We rushed to the stores earlier than usual, bought so much food and water and still did not feel OK. So we decided to leave the city.

By 4PM that Monday, Brian and I took David, Julia and Lola on our minivan and traveled to Charlotte, North Carolina to visit grandma and grandpa Knowles!! An escape from the horrible hurricane coming our way. We slept the night at a hotel and the next day started again. Babies and dog behaved so well!! I was impressed.

On this trip we visited Vicky and Craig, we had a great time at grandpa and grandma Knowles and visited the Billy Graham Association to introduce our children to the dear people that prayed for them. So, let me tell you how it went:

In our way to Charlotte, I remembered that our good friends, Vicky and Craig, live in South Carolina and we would have to go by their city on our way to Charlotte, so we called her and she was so kind to change her plans for that afternoon, met us at an intersection and received us in her house.

What a great gift for us to be able to see them again. Vicky and Craig adopted a beautiful baby girl in Russia. We met them while they were on their last trip and we were on our first trip, so we have met her baby girl but they only knew David and Julia from pictures.
Their daughter is so beautiful and looks like she could be David’s cousin; she is also only 5 days younger than Julia: they are both walking great and getting into everything.

Grandpa and Grandma called us to hurry up to get to Charlotte for dinner. I can describe the feeling of being at their house. I could sense our children’s happiness and reminded me of the special times when I used to go to a little town in Colombia to visit my grandma Jadne.

We ate so well!!! Of course anyone that had the pleasure to eat Dick’s cooking, knows what I mean. Even his white rice tastes better than any other white rice I ever had.

Then on Thursday, we went to the Billy Graham association to introduce our children to Dick and Berenice’s friends and co-workers. What a humbling experience!! There were people coming from all over the place to meet David and Julia; these are people that were committed to pray for our adoption and we are so thankful for it. I just have to stop here and say, I believe in the power of prayer and adoption can be a very complicated process: so many things can go wrong! And we were adopting two, in two different orphanages! We were the witness of so many miracles on our way to adopting our children. That is why I would encourage any of you in the process to pray to God to bring to you prayer partners that will be committed to praying for your children and for you. I believe it is not so much so that God would “do” but that we would be able to trust and hope and wait as we get so many “worrying” news or possible scary scenarios and that we would keep the faith and do not quit right in the middle of the adoption process.

There were so many times I felt overwhelmed and second guessed if it was really God’s will to adopt Julia or David!!! I feel horrible to have to confess those feelings but I had them. Today, I am so thankful that (I believe because of prayer) we were somehow able to have the strength to take step by step and wait step by step and hope step by step, feeling the reality of the “out of our control” process but knowing that the Lord was in control and he knew where He was headed. I am so glad today because we are blessed to have David and Julia …

So, if you need a prayer partner to be available to pray for your adoption, let me know, I will commit to pray for you if you ask me. I have seen the power of it and I would love to be part of your adoption story!!!

After a great time at Dick and Berenice’s house, we decided to head back to Miami on Saturday and this time we did it in one day.

Julia and David love grandpa and grandma! They pretend to call them in the phone and blow kisses to them. They also love their “abuelita” or “abue” that is, my mother Carmen.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a pleasure to see a new posting! It truly is so amazing to have David and Julia! I must say, that if I start feeling a little sad or lonely, I look at their smiling faces and can't wait to visit my sweet little ones again! Big hugs and kisses and lots of love to all.

Melissa said...

I would love it if you would be my prayer partner, as we are also trying to adopt 2. We are looking for a boy and a girl under 3. I think we are getting close.

It is great how well your kids are doing. Glad you had fun at Grandma's.

Anonymous said...

Wow! When you were at the Billy Graham office, you were 10 minutes from me! I'm glad the storm was kind to you and that you got a bonus visit with the Grandparents out of it. I often pray for my bloggy friends (by name when I know of something specific going on) and know the warm feeling I get when someone just mentions that they're praying for us and our little girl and that we get together soon. I'd welcome your prayers on our behalf and I'll keep you, Brian, Julia and David in mine.

6blessings said...

So glad to see a post again. Sounds like everyone is doing well. Glad you had a great visit to gma's house.

I agree that prayer is so powerful. We wouldn't make it through our day without it.

Brian & Rebeca said...

Hi Betsy, I will pray for you! Please feel free to send me an email at rifka_segebre@yahoo.com or send me your blog address to keep updated on the progress.
Love, Rebeca K.