Two children at once

I have seen a lot of question about people wanting to adopt 2 children at a time and hesitating about getting the help of relatives.
So, I wanted to write a little bit about our experience.

As most of you know by now, we came back from Moscow with 2 beautiful children at once 4 month ago and the day we arrived we were all tired.

My mother was with us the day we arrived and she says that in the middle of that night my one year old girl was crying and neither my husband or I heard a thing, so she knock at our door and nobody answered, then she went inside the bedroom and shake me gently for a while and I just did not respond. So, she went inside my girl’s room, and took care of her: changed her diaper, rocked her a little bit and put her back to sleep. I have no recollection of the episode!! How embarrassing! And how thankful that mom was there for the rescue. Yes, I felt guilty for a while.
We had been awake for 24 hours by the time we went to bed that night and there was an 8 hour difference and we also were exhausted from the week we spend the 4 of us in the hotel in Russia where we believe we became a family. I am so thankful my mom was there with us for the first 2 months.
While spending time with our kids, my mother just took her place as grandma which is her rightful place. We believe our kids did not get confused. Right now mom is not with us and will be back in a month or so.

It was overwhelming to suddenly go from an empty nest to a family of 4 with a 1 year old girl and a 2 year old boy … but looking back at the whole experience and still going through it, I would not change a thing and today I am so glad we adopted both at the same time.

Blessings to all of you that are considering taking this road with two at once!

If you do decide to adopt two at once, I would encourage you to accept the help of the people from your family you consider you can trust to help in this special way. What I mean is, people you can explain the attachment issue to and will be willing to help you as you need but be sensitive to leave the most attaching tasks to you; that is, if you are awake for it!.

Thank you Mom for your great help!!!

4 comments:

Deb said...

Thanks for sharing your experience. We plan to adopt one but are hoping to be approved for 2 just incase. So it's good to hear your advice.

glo said...

Thoughtful and wonderful advice and special sharing of how those shoes felt. i am sure it will be helpful for many on the adoption journey right now.

6blessings said...

I totally agree. I fully believe that adopting 2 at once makes it easier on the children. They have someone else that is familiar to them and is going through the same things they are.

Suz said...

Rebeca, I just wanted to say hello! We are only doing one at a time but I agree with you on having Grandma help those first few days!! It is tough coming home and being zombies!

I am glad to see all is going well with your family!